Taking care of Daddy

Well, it is Saturday and I thought we would be spending the weekend preparing for Dan’s knee surgery on Monday, but instead he is now post surgery and we are taking care of our sweet, recovering patient. It’s amazing how events and plans can change in just a day.

So a little recap concerning dan’s kneecap- not funny, I know- He tore his ACL on his left knee, while playing basketball a few weeks ago. (He had torn his ACL on his right knee when he was a senior in high school and now here he is 10 years later. Poor guy, no fun.) About 2 weeks ago he had an MRI and then scheduled surgery. A few days later he got a call saying that his doctor hurt his wrist and wouldn’t be able to perform the surgery. Then after days of phone tag with the office, he got a new doctor and went in this past Wednesday. This new doctor said he could do the surgery in two weeks, which was frustrating because Dan was told Sept. 30, and he has a lot scheduled for work that he can’t miss. They had an opening the next day, so Dan took it.

20 hours later we were sitting in the waiting room. My parents and sister were helping with the kids. I told Dan that I was kind of excited to sit in the waiting room by myself for 3 hours. He thought that was weird… (but I think any mom would understand, maybe?!) I could tell Dan was a little anxious to get this surgery started. I was starting to get a little anxious about letting him go. And that’s when we heard the man across from us talking on the phone. We heard him say “McAleer” and then he read out my dad’s cell phone number. Dan and I started laughing out of disbelief and when the kind man got off the phone we were a little awkward, but finally asked him how he knew my dad. So random, but it helped us laugh and was a nice distraction while we waited.

They called Dan back at 12:30 to prepare for surgery and a few minutes later I got to go sit with him before they wheeled him back. I was then sent back to the waiting room and the anxiety set back in. I know it was a standard procedure, but it was still surgery and I was realizing it is a bigger deal than I previously thought. I quietly prayed then tried to read, but couldn’t focus and suddenly the 3 hours of waiting seemed like forever. And then the nice man who we met earlier came and sat next to me. His wife was now in surgery and we talked for a long time about the Church, our families, and random Mobile connections. It was a little blessing and before I knew it I was told Dan was out of surgery and recovering.

A little after 4, I was able to finally go see him. I was the last one in the waiting room and and he was the last surgery of the day.

Post Surgery

He was munching on crackers and drinking a coke and seemed in good spirits. The nurse even said that he was one of the most pleasant people they had had in awhile. Apparently when he was coming to, he talked to them about his surgery when he was 18 and other things. He has always been a sweet-talker. It used to drive me crazy in college because he always found a way to get an extension on a paper. But at least now we know, he really is a kind person, even under strong meds!

 Dan Knee

When we got home, the kids were so excited to see him but were surprised when they saw his big boo-boo. Emma immediately ran in the house and started to cry. She thought he was never going to be able to play with her again. After we calmed her down and talked to her about it all, she was better. Kolbe was a little nervous when he saw the brace, and Joshua of course tried to jump on him.

Joshua on Crutch

Dan is currently set up downstairs on the couch for a few days. The kids are helping serve him and learning to be gentle around his leg. It is hard watching him be in so much pain, but it is nice knowing it will only get better from here. And I have to admit I love having him home, even if it means I have to switch out his ice every 30 minutes and help to keep him as comfortable as possible. In sickness and in health. Through knee surgery and keeping up with 3 kids 5 and under.


Thank you to all of those who have helped us this week and for all of the prayers. We are so grateful!!


Leave a Reply